1. Which player won the 2005/06 Snooker Grand Prix?
- Ronnie O’Sullivan
- Shaun Murphy
- Mark Williams
- John Higgins
Answer: John Higgins
2. George Best played for which Los Angeles soccer team?
- Los Angeles Adventurers
- Los Angeles Angels
- Los Angeles Attackers
- Los Angeles Aztecs
Answer: Los Angeles Aztecs
3. Who was world heavyweight boxing champion from 1933-1934?
- Max Schmeling
- Jack Sharkey
- Primo Carnera
- Max Baer
Answer: Primo Carnera
4. From which rugby club did Barry John join Cardiff?
5. For which club was Roberto Baggio playing when he won the European Footballer of the Year Award in 1993?
- AS Roma
- Inter Milan
- Sau Paulo
6. Urania in Ancient Greece and Harpaston in Ancient Rome were forerunners of which modern ball sport?
7. What nationality is Grand Prix driver Juan Pablo Montoya?
8. Which footballer scored a hat trick against Arsenal in four and a half minutes in 1994?
- Teddy Sheringham
- Robbie Fowler
- Alan Shearer
- Stan Collymore
Answer: Robbie Fowler
9. Which golfer sacked his caddie for failing to show up in time for the 2001 Scandinavian Masters?
- Ian Woosnam
- Thomas Bjorn
- Nick Faldo
- Phil Mickelson
Answer: Ian Woosnam
10. How many West Ham footballers played in the 1966 World Cup Final?
11. Name the Indian bookie at the centre of international cricket’s match-fixing scandals of 2000.
- MK Govinda
- MK Guatama
- MK Gupta
- MK Goh
Answer: MK Gupta
12. In football which team won the African Nations Cup in 1974?
13. The Punch Line consisted of Toe Blake, Elmer Lach and what hockey legend?
- Maurice Richard
- Howie Morenz
- Guy Lafleur
- Darryl Sittler
Answer: Maurice Richard
14. Which two Majors did Tiger Woods win in 2005?
- P.G.A. Championship & U.S. Open
- British Open & U.S. Open
- British Open & U.S. Masters
- U.S. Masters & P.G.A. Championship
Answer: British Open & U.S. Masters
15. Santiago Canizares, the Spanish goalkeeper missed World Cup 2002 after what fell on his foot?
- Aftershave Bottle
- Beer Bottle
- Lava Lamp
Answer: Aftershave Bottle
16. How many times did Peter Alliss play in the Ryder Cup?
17. In motor racing, who won the 2003 Italian Grand Prix?
- Michael Schumacher
- Nick Heidfeld
- Mark Webber
- Giancarlo Fisichella
Answer: Michael Schumacher
18. What was unusual about Howard Winstone’s right hand?
- Palm Covered In Scar Tissue
- 6 Fingers
- All Fingers The Same Length
- Tops Of 3 Fingers Missing
Answer: Tops of 3 Fingers Missing
19. Which football club won the Barclays Premier League title for the 2011-12 season?
- Wigan Athletic
- Stoke City
- Manchester City
- Wolverhampton Wanderers
Answer: Manchester City
20. American NBA star Ron Artest officially changed his name to Metta World Peace in 2011.
21. What word refers to skiing straight downhill very fast?
22. Besides playing in Major League Baseball, Bo Jackson played in which pro sports league in the US?
- Major League Soccer
23. The Hockey Hall of Fame of ice hockey is located in T____.
Answer: Toronto, Canada
24. What company is the title sponsor of the IRB’s Rugby Sevens World Series?
- Generali Insurance
25. Which gold-medal-winning Olympian became famous for playing Tarzan in 12 films beginning in 1932 with “Tarzan The Ape Man”?
Answer: Johnny Weissmuller
26. Which National Hockey League team picked Alex Ovechkin first overall in the 2004 NHL entry draft?
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- New Jersey Devils
- Boston Bruins
- Washington Capitals
Answer: Washington Capitals
27. Which nation defeated Australia to win the Twenty20 Cricket World Cup title in 2010?
- Sri Lanka
- New Zealand
28. Which sport is the focus of the 1970s made-for-TV movie “Brian’s Song”?
- American football
- Ice hockey
Answer: American football
29. In the sport of curling, who or what is the skip?
- The curling broom
- Referee of a curling match
- Player who is the team captain
- Slang term for a curling rock
Answer: Player who is the team captain
30. Which Major League Baseball father and son sluggers each hit 50 home runs in a major league season?
- Sandy Alomar and Roberto Alomar
- Bobby Bonds and Barry Bonds
- Bengie Molina and Yadier Molina
- Cecil Fielder and Prince Fielder
Answer: Cecil Fielder and Prince Fielder
31. Vince Lombardi, the legendary coach of American football, said that “Once you learn to quit, it ____.
Answer: Becomes a habit
32. Former world #1 men’s singles tennis player Marat Safin and former world #1 women’s singles tennis player Dinara Safina are brother and sister.
33. The fixing of Major League Baseball’s 1919 World Series, known as the “Black Sox Scandal,” is depicted in which 1988 John Sayles film?
- Major League
- Eight Men Out
- The Pride Of The Yankees
- Breaking Away
Answer: Eight Men Out
34. Alekhine, Capablanca and Tal are all past world champions – in which sport?
35. At the start of a game of snooker, how many balls are on the table?
36. First introduced in South Africa in the 1960s, what is the name of a form of hockey played underwater?
37. American Railroad executive Harold Stirling Vanderbilt invented a scoring system for which game?
Answer: Contract Bridge
38. Most golf balls on sale today have?
- Between 50 ? 70 dimples
- Between 70 ? 150 dimples
- Between 150 ? 250 dimples
- Between 250 ? 450 dimples
39. How many dominoes are there in a normal set (up to 6 spots)?
40. How many holes are there in a ten pin bowling ball?
You May Also Like – Famous People Trivia: 100+ Quiz Questions and Answers
41. How many hoops are used in a game of croquet?
42. How many players are there in a women’s lacrosse team?
43. How many players in an ice hockey team?
44. How many players take part in the card game Solo Whist?
45. How many property squares are there on a Monopoly board?
46. How many types of chess piece are there in a standard set?
47. In 1988 she won all four tennis grand slam competitions?
Answer: Steffi Graf
48. In a game of chess, how many pawns are there on the board at the start of a game?
49. In a major golfing tournament, how many clubs are you allowed to carry in your bag?
50. In a standard game of poker, which of the following hands is best?
- A Flush
- A Straight
- Three Of A Kind
Answer: A Flush
51. In Brazil, what is Pelada?
- Street or beach football
- A badminton like game
Answer: Street or beach football
52. In Contract Bridge, which is the highest bid – three clubs, three spades or three diamonds?
- Three spades
- Three diamonds
- Three clubs
Answer: Three spades
53. In darts, what is the lowest number that cannot be scored with one dart?
54. Which chess computer built by IBM defeated world chess champion, Garry Kasparov?
- Deep Blue
- Deep Move
- Deep View
- Deep Street
Answer: Deep Blue
55. In inches, how high is a table-tennis net?
- There is no standard
- 4 inches (10.16 cm)
- 5 inches (12.7 cm)
- 6 inches (15.25 cm)
Answer: 6 inches (15.25 cm)
56. In Judo, which Dan is the highest in the grading of black belts?
57. In poker, what is a hand called where you hold three of one value of the card and two of another?
Answer: A full house
58. In which sport would you find a WD, WA, GK, GD and C?
59. In standard chess game notation, what is the code for castling on the Kings side?
60. In the old days, who would chip with a spoon?
- A Baseballer
- A Cricketer
- A Golfer
- A Racing Car Driver
Answer: A Golfer
61. In which card game could you gain points for 15, pairs royal and one for his nob?
62. In which country is Randwick racecourse situated?
63. In which game do you peg out?
64. In which sport do riders compete on motorcycles without brakes on dirt tracks?
65. In which sport might you find a Triangle and a Sausage?
66. In which sport or pastime might you use a Wickhams Fancy and a Greenwell’s Glory?
- 8 ball pool
- Horse Jumping
- Fly Fishing
Answer: Fly Fishing
67. List the six murder weapons in Cluedo.
Answer: Candlestick, Rope, Revolver, Dagger, Lead piping, Spanner
68. List the six playing pieces in standard Monopoly.
Answer: Dog, Ship, Car, Boot, Top hat, Flat iron.
69. Manufactured by Atari in 1972, what was the worlds first video game?
70. Spassky, Karpov and Kasparov have all been world champions in which game?
71. Squash balls have a dot marked on them, what does it signal?
- The size of the ball
- The bounce of the ball
- How long it will last
- Which organisation sanctions the ball
Answer: The ‘speed’ of the ball (bounce … ?) Blue, Red, White, Yellow from Fast to extra slow
72. Texas Hold-em is a variant on which game?
73. The America’s cup is a trophy awarded for which sport?
- Yacht racing
Answer: Yacht racing
74. The name of which martial art comes from the Japanese words for ‘open hand’?
75. The New York Yacht Club holds perhaps the longest winning streak in sporting history. For 132 years (1857-1983), it successfully defended which trophy?
Answer: The Americas Cup
76. There are four ways a boxing match can be decided: KO, Tech KO, Judge’s Decision and what?
77. Toxophily is a traditional sport. By what name is it more commonly known?
- Horse Jumping
78. What boxing weight falls between bantamweight and lightweight?
79. What colour is the bull on an archery target?
80. What colour is the bullseye on a standard dartboard?
81. What do the Americans call the game of noughts and crosses?
Answer: Tic Tac Toe
82. What does FIFA stand for?
Answer: Federation Internationale de Football Association
83. What children’s game involves loading a Mule with items and trying to avoid it bucking when you do so?
84. What is America’s most famous motor race, first held in 1911?
Answer: Indianapolis 500
85. What is the name of the Japanese game which consists of placing black and white pebbles on a playing surface divided into a grid?
86. What is the official national sport of Japan?
Answer: Sumo wrestling
87. What is the perfect score in a game of Ten Pin Bowling?
88. What is the point value of the letter F in scrabble?
89. What is the points value of the letter ‘K’ in scrabble?
90. What kind of sporting event is the Palio?
Answer: A Horse Race
91. What letter appears on the most Scrabble Crossword Game tiles?
92. What number is at 6 o’clock on a dartboard?
93. What oriental game comprises 144 tiles with bamboo backs?
94. What sport/game does the organisation FIDE regulate? (A clue – the abbreviation is French)
95. What term is used for the captain of a Curling team?
- The Shorter
- Tha Cap
- The Skip
- There is no captain
Answer: The Skip
96. What toy was invented by Richard James when he saw a spring accidentally fall to the ground and carry on moving after it landed?
97. What would a judo player do with a judogi?
- Wear it
- Burn it
- Bow to it
- Throw it
Answer: Wear it
98. Which arena in New York hosts Ice Hockey, Basketball, Wrestling and Boxing to name but a few?
Answer: Madison Square Garden
99. Which doll was made by Pedigree in 1963 as a rival to Barbie?
100. Which famous sportsman is nicknamed The Golden Bear?
Answer: Jack Nicklaus
101. Which game was created by Dr James Naismith in Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1891-92, to give athletes an indoor game to play in the winter?
102. Which martial art has a name which derives from the Japanese word for Gentle?
- Kung Fu
103. Which of the following is not a color on a Rubik’s Cube?
104. Which sport are you not allowed to play left-handed?
- Field Hockey
- Ice Hockey
105. Which sport do the Los Angeles Lakers play?
106. Which sport is governed by the rules drafted by the Marquis of Queensbury?
- Water Polo
107. Which sport is played on a surface measuring nine feet by five feet, raised 30 inches from the floor?
Answer: Table tennis
108. Which sport is played over four periods of 15 minutes where only two of the seven players can score?
109. Which sport was author Bill Bryson talking about when said It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as players — more if they are moderately restless?
- Motor Racing
- Lawn Bowls
110. Which sporting star has a line of designer clothing called Aneres?
Answer: Serena Williams
111. Which table-top game is derived from the Latin name of a bird of prey?
112. Which tennis player won Wimbledon five times in succession from 1976?
Answer: Bjorn Borg
113. Which two letters are worth 8 points in English-language Scrabble?
Answer: J and X
114. Which two men have been awarded the title FIFA World Player of the Year three times?
Answer: Ronaldo and Zenadine Zidane
115. Who is the murder victim in the game of Cluedo?
Answer: Dr Black
116. With what game are points, doubles and blots associated?
Australian Sports Trivia Questions and Answers
1. Which of these is not one of the three main codes of “footy” played in Australia?
Answer: Rugby sevens
2. In what game might you see a six, a Yorker and a bouncer?
3. She is the only golfer to have won five separate events recognised as majors by the LPGA. She qualified for the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2000; inducted in 2005.
4. Name the Brazilian martial art that was disguised by the slaves that developed it as a dance.
5. As of 2011, The Cricket World Cup has been held 10 times, Australia has won how many times?
6. The first Standardbred horse to earn (US) one million dollars in prize money was?
- Cardigan Bay
Answer: Cardigan Bay
7. Australia will host the AFC Asian Cup in the year?
8. Deaf Matildas’ first major tournament was the __ Games held in Australia in 2005
- World Cup
9. Which of the following were not added to the Australian Institute of Sport’s (AIS) ‘Best of the Best’ Hall of Fame on 4th November 2011?
- Matt Cowdrey
- Jamie Dwyer
- Malcolm Page?
- Jack Brabham
Answer: Jack Brabham
10. The best female athlete in the world in 2011, making her the first Australian to be given the official title by the IAAF was?
Answer: Sally Pearson
11. She beat three-time champion Serena Williams in the US Open final in September and she won her first grand slam title in 2011.
Answer: Sam Stosur
12. The fastest man in water after winning 100 metres freestyle at 2011 World Aquatics Championships was ___.
Answer: James Magnussen
13. Who was Inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2001? His career achievements include being ranked #1 in the world for 331 weeks.
- Kel Nagle
- Greg Norman
- Geoff Ogilvy
- Adam Scott
Answer: Greg Norman
Australian 2011 Sports Event Questions and Answers
1. In the opening AFL round on Thursday, March 24th 2011 ?
- Carlton beat Richmond by 5 points
- Richmond beat Carlton by 5 points
- Carlton beat Richmond by 20 points
- Richmond beat Carlton by 20 points
Answer: Carlton beat Richmond by 20 points
2. In June 2011 who defeated Lleyton Hewitt at Wimbledon?
- Roger Federer
- John Isner
- David Ferrer
- Robin Soderling
Answer: Robin Soderling
3. In August and September 2011 the Australian Cricket team play in?
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
Answer: Sri Lanka
4. I commence on September 9th 2011 and my Final is on October 23rd 2011. What am I?
Answer: Rugby World Cup
5. In April 2011 Anthony Mundine?
- Defeated Garth Wood
- Defeated Danny Green
- Was defeated by Garth Wood
- Was defeated by Danny Green
Answer: Defeated Garth Wood
6. From the 3rd to the 10th of July 2011 the Australian Diamonds will compete in The World Female?
- Basketball Championships in Greece
- Basketball Championships in The UK
- Netball Championships in Greece
- Netball Championships in Singapore
Answer: Netball Championships in Singapore
7. Jamie Whincup and Greg Murphy?
- Drive very fast
- Have both played over 30 tests without a try
- Are both opening batsmen for their state
- Make up half of the Aus medley swimming team
Answer: Drive very fast
8. On June 17th, 2011 which dual union and league international and player and television personality died at age 83? [— M—–]
Answer: Rex Mossop
9. The salary cap for AFL clubs in the 2011 season (with the exception of the Gold Coast) is?
10. On the 8th of May 2011 which Australian boxing legend died at the age of 63? [—— —-]
Answer: Lionel Rose
11. In June 2011 Soccer commentator Les Murray created a controversy when he accused Socceroos captain Lucas Neill of doing what at the 2010 FIFA World Cup?
- Telling players to ignore coach Pim Verbeek
- Telling players to fake injuries when needed
- Lying to medical staff
- Deliberately avoiding a drug test
Answer: telling players to ignore coach Pim Verbeek
12. Which of the following players in not an AFL captain in season 2011?
- Nathan van Berlo
- Jonathan Brown
- Jobe Watson
- Mitch Duncan
Answer: Mitch Duncan
13. The 2011 State of Origin game One score was?
- QLD 8 – NSW 6
- QLD 12 – NSW 10
- QLD 16 – NSW 12
- QLD 14 – NSW 10
Answer: QLD 16 – NSW 12
14. In State of Origin Anthony Minichiello plays for?
15. Australian national team Queensland State of Origin team captain Darren Lockyer has played for which club since 1995?
Answer: Brisbane Broncos
Sporting Sydneysider Trivia Questions and Answers
1. Australian international goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer signed for Premier League club Fulham from which another English soccer team in 2008?
2. Which of these English soccer clubs has Mark Schwarzer not played for?
- Birmingham City
- Bradford City
Answer: Birmingham City
3. Against which country did Steven Smith make his test match debut for Australia in 2010?
4. In which discipline did Steven Smith first represent Australia?
- Test Match
- One Day International
5. In what year did Scott Chipperfield make his debut for the Australia soccer team in a match against Fiji?
6. From which English soccer club did Everton sign Tim Cahill in 2004?
7. How many goals did Tim Cahill score for the Australian national team in 2004?
8. Before moving to play soccer in England, Tim Cahill was with which Australian club?
Answer: Sydney United
9. Pat McCabe made his debut for the Australian Rugby Union side in 2010 against which European team?
10. In which year was Australian Rugby Union player Pat McCabe born?
11. In 1975, who did Sydney born tennis player John Alexander beat in Tucson, USA to win his second singles title?
- Ilie Nastase
- Terry Moor
- Jimmy Connors
Answer: Ilie Nastase
12. Which Sydney born cricketer became the first man in 132 years to debut for Australia in any format without the first-class appearance to his name when he played in a Twenty20 against South Africa in 2009?
Answer: David Warner
13. In which year did Doug Bollinger make his test match debut for Australia?
14. Stuart Clark made his test match debut for Australia in 2006 against which country?
Answer: South Africa
15. With which English county was Stuart Clark playing when he was surprisingly called up to the Australian Ashes squad in 2005?
Sydney Sports Team Trivia Questions and Answer
1. The Sydney Roosters play?
- Rugby League
Answer: Rugby League
2. The Sydney Roosters were previously called?
- Western Suburbs
- Eastern Suburbs
- There was no previous name
Answer: Eastern Suburbs
3. The Sydney Swans Football Club was founded in?
4. The two nicknames of The Sydney Swans are Swans and B__.
5. What sport did The Sydney Swifts play?
- Ice Hockey
- Figure Skating
6. The Sydney Swifts disbanded in?
7. The Sydney Thunder is a newly founded team playing which sport?
8. Which sport does David Warner play?
9. The rugby league team was known as The Sydney Tigers from 1995-96 is more recently known as?
Answer: The Balmain Tigers
10. In 1999 the Sydney Tigers merged with the neighboring Magpies club to form?
- Western Tigers
- Eastern Tigers
- East Tigers
- West Tigers
Answer: West Tigers
11. The Canterbury-Bankstown rugby team is associated with which animal mascot?
12. This professional basketball team was previously known as the West Sydney Razorbacks. What is their current moniker?
Answer: The Sydney Spirit
13. As of 2011, which cricketer has played the most first-class matches for the New South Wales Blues?
Answer: Greg Matthews
14. The highest ever total made by the New South Wales Blues as 2011 was 918, made in the 1900-1901 season against which team?
- South Australia
Answer: South Australia
15. Which team did New South Wales Blues beat in the 2008-2009 Twenty20 Big Bash Final?
16. Don Bradman scored a record 452 not out against which team in the 1929-1930 season for New South Wales Blues?
17. As of 2011, which batsman has scored the most first-class runs for the New South Wales Blues?
Answer: Michael Bevan
18. The New South Wales Waratahs recorded their biggest ever win in 2010 beating which team by a score of 73-12?
19. Which player scored 4 tries in a match against the Lions in 2010 for the New South Wales Waratahs?
Answer: Drew Mitchell
20. Which team beat the New South Wales Waratahs in the semifinals of the 2010 Super 14 season?
21. Which team did the Sydney Roosters beat in the 2002 National Rugby League Final?
Answer: New Zealand Warriors
22. In which year was the name of the Sydney Roosters changed from the Sydney City Roosters?
23. In what year were the Rugby League club the Parramatta Eels founded?
24. As of 2011, how many Premiership titles have the South Sydney Rabbitohs won with their last title coming in 1971?
25. Who set the record for the most tries in a season for the South Sydney Rabbitohs with 29 in the 1954 season?
- Johnny Graves
- Ian Moir
- Nathan Merritt
- Les Brennan
Answer: Les Brennan
26. As of 2011, who has scored the most points in the history of the South Sydney Rabbitohs?
Answer: Eric Simms
27. Which team beat the Sydney Roosters in the National Rugby League Grand Final in 2000?
Answer: Brisbane Broncos