From the Golden Age of Hollywood through to the classics of today, the art of cinema holds a special place in the hearts of many. It allows us to escape, to fantasize, to see the world through the eyes of another, and learn about life at the same time.
Memorable movies, brilliant performances and timeless quotes are all woven into the fabric of pop culture.
Do you fancy yourself as a movie trivia buff?
Are you the prince of plotlines, or the queen of quotes? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Draw on all your knowledge and see how much you really know about movie trivia!
Pixer Movie Trivia
1. After Nemo is caught, he ends up in an aquarium at a dentist’s office in Sydney in the 2003 Pixar film “Finding Nemo”.
2. What exactly is Monsters, Inc. in the 2001 Pixar film “Monsters, Inc.”?
- Factory that makes monster-sized shoes
- Chain of Hair Salons
- Factory that processes screams
- Restaurant that caters to monsters
Answer: Factory that processes screams
3. Which director won a special achievement Oscar for his work on the 1995 Pixar film “Toy Story”?
- Brad Bird
- Mike Judge
- John Lasseter
- Trey Parker
Answer: John Lasseter
4. What is the title of Chef Gusteau’s cookbook, as well as his motto, in the 2007 Pixar film “Ratatouille”?
Answer: Anyone Can Cook
5. Who voiced Sally the Porsche in the Pixar films “Cars” and “Cars 2”?
- Penny Marshall
- Bonnie Hunt
- Tina Fey
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Answer: Bonnie Hunt
6. What is Buzz Lightyear’s famous catchphrase from the 1995 film “Toy Story”?
- To infinity, and beyond!
- Great Caesar’s ghost!
- Let’s get’er done!
- Time for some planetary action!
Answer: To infinity, and beyond!
7. Eight-year-old Russell belongs to the ____ organisation in the 2009 Pixar film “Up”.
Answer: Wilderness Explorers
8. In the 2012 Pixar film “Brave,” eating magic cake turns Merida’s mom into what?
- A mule deer
- A bear
- A goat
- A spider
Answer: A bear
9. Comedian Don Rickles voiced which character in Pixar’s “Toy Story” film series?
- GI Joe
- Mr. Potato Head
- The patient from “Operation”
- A “Rock’em Sock’em Robots” boxer
Answer: Mr. Potato Head
10. Flik and his fellow ants are bullied by _____ in the 1998 Pixar film “A Bug’s Life”.
11. Dug the dog wears a special collar that allows him to do what in the 2009 Pixar film “Up”?
- Lay eggs
- Sprout wings and fly
- Shoot laser beams from his eyes
12. Pixar’s 1995 film “Toy Story” was the first-ever feature-length film to be 100% computer animated.
13. In the 2008 Pixar film “WALL-E,” WALL-E’s name is an acronym that stands for “Waste Allocation _____ Earth-Class”.
Answer: Load Lifter
14. Besides “Toy Story 3,” which Pixar film received Oscar nominations for both best-animated feature film and best motion picture?
- Monsters, Inc.
- A Bug’s Life
15. Lightning McQueen spends time in the town of Little Drivetrain in the 2006 film “Cars”.
You may Also Like – 35+ Random Entertainment Trivia Questions and Answers
1. The first full-length movie production was released in Australia in 1906 and was titled?
- The Land of the Sun
- The Story of the Kelly Gang
- Empire Days
- Onward to Australia
Answer: The Story of the Kelly Gang
2. Only two people have been given posthumous Academy Awards for acting. Both are Australian. Can you name them?
Answer: Peter Finch, Heath Ledger
3. What is the title of the Australian film released in 2000 that was based on the life of Mark Read?
4. Complete the names of these Australian films?
- Wo__ Cr__K
- Lit__e F__h
- H_p_y __et
Answer: Wolf Creek Somersault Little Fish Happy Feet
5. What 2006 film told the endearing story of a plumber working for Melbourne company Splashdown?
6. Which highly acclaimed 2010 film recounts the drug-fuelled lifestyle of a notorious Melbourne crime family and their involvement in the murder of two policemen?
Answer: Animal Kingdom
7. Which 1979 Australian film starring Graham Kennedy recounts the experience of Australian Soldiers as they prepare and deploy to Vietnam?
Answer: The Odd Angry Shot
8. Which 1997 film contained the line “This is going straight to the pool room”.
Answer: The Castle
9. Which of these films was not directed by Baz Luhrmann?
- Strictly Ballroom
- Moulin Rouge!
10. Which 2002 film evoked a dividing structure designed to restrict the movement of a specific animal?
Answer: The Rabbit Proof Fence
11. The 1978 film The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith was based on a book by Roger Bennett. True or False.
12. The 1971 film Walkabout saw the first appearance of which celebrated actor?
Answer: David Gulpilil
13. Which 1983 film about young cyclists saw the first appearance of actress Nicole Kidman?
Answer: BMX Bandits
14. The film My Brilliant Career was based on a book of the same name written by?
Answer: Miles Franklin
15. Which animated film created in 2006 was the most expensive Australian film ever made and the first to win an Oscar for the Best animated feature film.
Answer: Happy Feet
16. What iconic Australian 1980s movie stared the British actor Edward Woodward?
Answer: Breaker Morant
17. The earliest known feature length narrative film in the world was the Australian production The story of the Kelly Gang?
18. Erroll Flynn (the popular Hollywood actor) was born in which Australian state or territory?
- New South Wales
19. The man from Snowy River is based on a poem by which Australian poet?
Answer: Banjo Peterson
20. The American actor Kirk Douglas played twin brothers in the sequel film The man from Snowy River II. True or False?
21. Peter Weir directed which 1975 mystery known for its eerie soundtrack and unresolved story?
Answer: Picnic at Hanging Rock
22. What 1979 film is based on a novel by popular Australian author Stella Maria Sarah Miles Franklin?
- Picnic at Hanging Rock
- My Brilliant Career
- We of the Never Never
- The Year of Living Dangerously
Answer: My Brilliant Career
23. What 1981 film directed by Peter Weir centres around two young men, Archie Hamilton and Frank Dunne?
- The Lighthorsemen
- Breaker Morant
24. The American actor Linda Hamilton won an Academy Award for best-supporting actress when she played a male dwarf Billy Kwan alongside Mel Gibson in which 1982 movie?
Answer: The year of living dangerously
25. Name the Australian actor who replaced Sean Connery in portraying James Bond in the 1968 film On her Majesty’s Service?
Answer: George Lazenby
26. Aussie costume designer Lizzy Gardiner accepted her Oscar for the 1994 film “The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert” wearing a dress made out of what? “
- Lamb chops
- American Express Gold Cards
- Bronzed paper clips
- DVDs from Terence Stamp films
Answer: American Express Gold Cards
27. Who was named as the first president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television in 2011?
- Hugo Weaving
- Geoffrey Rush
- Cate Blanchett
- Eric Bana
Answer: Geoffrey Rush
28. What is the main setting of the 1989 Australian film “Dead Calm”?
- A yacht
- A mental hospital
- A morgue
- A snowy mountain peak
Answer: A yacht
29. Aussie-born actress _____ became the youngest-ever best actress Oscar nominee when she was nominated for the 2002 film “Whale Rider” at the age of 13.
Answer: Keisha Castle-Hughes
30. Mel Gibson is in Indonesia working as what in Peter Weir’s 1982 film “The Year Of Living Dangerously”?
- Civil engineer
- Helicopter pilot
31. The 1906 Australian film that is historically significant as an extremely early example of a full-length narrative feature is “The Story Of The ____”.
Answer: Kelly Gang
32. Which actor who played the ultimate British spy James Bond on film was actually born in Australia?
- Sean Connery
- Timothy Dalton
- George Lazenby
- Daniel Craig
Answer: George Lazenby
33. The “law” associated with fighting in the Thunderdome in the 1985 Australian film “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome” is “_____?
Answer: Two men enter, one man leaves
34. Three friends are terrorised by whom or what in the 2005 Australian horror film “Wolf Creek”?
- Outback psycho
- Band of werewolves
- Murderous aliens
- Horde of zombies
Answer: Outback psycho
35. Which famous Australian-born actor made his film debut playing Fletcher Christian in the 1933 film “In The Wake Of The Bounty”?
- Cary Grant
- Errol Flynn
- Trevor Howard
- Ronald Colman
Answer: Errol Flynn
36. The Aussie film _____ involves a mysterious disappearance of three girls and a teacher on Valentine’s Day.
Answer: Picnic At Hanging Rock
37. Who directed the award-winning 1979 Australian film “My Brilliant Career”?
- Jane Campion
- George Miller
- Bruce Beresford
- Gillian Armstrong
Answer: Gillian Armstrong
38. In the original “Crocodile Dundee” from 1986, Paul “Crocodile Dundee” Hogan goes where to visit Sue, played by Linda Kozlowski?
- New York, New York
- Montreal, Canada
- Paris, France
- Dallas, Texas
Answer: New York, New York
39. Australian director Fred Schepisi directed both Meryl Streep and Sam Neill in the 1988 film “A Cry In The Dark” and in which 1985 film?
40. In the 1995 Australian film “Babe,” what does Farmer Hoggett say to Babe after the pig successfully herds the sheep at the sheepdog trials?
- There can be only one. And it’s you
- That’ll do, pig. That’ll do
- You’re the pig
- You’re makin’ bacon now!
Answer: That’ll do, pig. That’ll do
London Films Trivia
1. Around what holiday does the film Love Actually, set in London, take place?
- New Years Day
- Valentines Day
2. Which London-born star almost scored the role of Bridget in Bridget Jones’s Diary?
- Helena Bonham Carter
- Cameron Diaz
- Laura Linney
- Denise Richards
Answer: Helena Bonham Carter
3. What famous London landmark is blown up in the movie V for Vendetta?
- Windsor Castle
- The House of Parliament
- Blackpool Tower
- Buckingham Palace
Answer: The House of Parliament
4. What year was My Fair Lady, starring Audrey Hepburn, released?
5. The film 101 Dalmatians is based on the book written by which British author?
- Fay Compton
- Dodie Smith
- Catherine Bronte
- Edna Ferber
Answer: Dodie Smith
6. The movie Bank Job, released in 2008, is based on the famous 1971?
- Bank of England Robbery
- Train Robbery
- Pall Mall Robbery
- Baker Street Robbery
Answer: Baker Street Robbery
7. Mary Poppins received how many Oscar nominations?
8. Who directed the 2006 mystery thriller film The Prestige?
- Christopher Nolan
- Chris Columbus
- Tim Burton
- Desmond Davis
Answer: Christopher Nolan
9. Mentions of both Princess Diana and the designer ___ prompted edits in production for the movie Spice World, as they were alive when the film was made but both died before its release.
10. The 2001 novel The Other Boleyn Girl, a romantic telling of the lives of Mary and Anne Boleyn, was later adapted for the silver screen. What year was the film released?
11. The Winchester Pub serves as a refuge from attacking zombies in which film?
Answer: Shaun of the Dead
New Zealand Movie Trivia
1. Name the 2002 New Zealand drama film directed by Niki Caro, based on a novel by Witi Ihimaera. Keisha Castle-Hughes stars as a 12-year-old girl struggling to become the chief of her tribe.
Answer: Whale Rider
2. Name this 2009 film directed by Peter Jackson and filmed in New Zealand and Pennsylvania, United States. It tells the story of a murdered girl and her families fight to discover the truth.
Answer: The Lovely Bones
3. The NZ government agency tasked with assisting the creation and promotion of New Zealand films is?
- Film New Zealand
- New Zealand Film and Television Department
- New Zealand Film Agency
- New Zealand Film Commission
Answer: New Zealand Film Commission
4. New Zealand’s first filmmaker was Alfred Whitehouse who made 10 films between?
- 1856 and 1864
- 1878 and 1888
- 1898 and 1900
- 1904 and 1912
Answer: 1898 and 1900
5. In 1981 New Zealand director Geoff Murphy had a massive local New Zealand hit with his movie?
- Goodbye Superman
- Goodbye Pork Pie
- Seeya Later
- Flying Skies
Answer: Goodbye Pork Pie
6. How many academy awards did 1993s The Piano win?
7. In 2005 which film about a motorcycle beat the record held by Once Were Warriors for highest grossing New Zealand film at the domestic box-office?
Answer: The World’s Fastest Indian
8. Which 2005 film directed by Peter Jackson won an academy award for special effects?
Answer: King Kong
9. Which New Zealand Academy Award winner has appeared in the X-Men film series, The Piano and the True Blood television series?
Answer: Anna Paquin
10. Complete the name of this NZ film _l__k S__ep.
Answer: Black Sheep
11. The 2007 Kafkaesque comedy about a man bankrupted by the Inland Revenue Department is called?
Answer: We’re Here To Help
New York Movie Trivia
1. What famous 1979 Woody Allen about NYC was shot entirely in black-and-white? [———]
2. What 1984 film, featuring many of the actors from Saturday Night Live, was set in NYC?
3. What 1977 hit film starred a young John Travolta growing up in Brooklyn and featured the newest musical craze?
Answer: Saturday Night Fever
4. What movie about racial tensions in Brooklyn was Spike Lee?s first big hit as a director?
Answer: Do the Right Thing
5. What 1933 movie featured a huge gorilla climbing the Empire State Building?
Answer: King Kong
6. What movie adaptation of Romeo & Juliet, set in NYC, has been called the best NY musical ever?
Answer: West Side Story
7. What movies about the Carlene crime family have been called the greatest Mafia films ever made?
Answer: The Godfather
8. What arachnid superhero spins his web against the bad guys over NYC?
9. What Billy Crystal/Meg Ryan comedy had the famous line Ill have what she’s having?
Answer: When Harry Met Sally
10. What film starring Michael Douglas proclaiming that Greed is good featured in New York’s financial industry?
Answer: Wall Street
11. Meryl Streep’s portrayal of a Holocaust survivor living in Brooklyn won her the Academy Award for this film. What was it?
Answer: Sophies Choice
12. What 1984 movie featuring live-action puppets was set in NYC?
Answer: Muppets Take Manhattan
13. What science fiction comedy featured Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as alien-battling secret agents in NYC?
Answer: Men in Black
14. What 2000 romantic comedy was set in an actual NYC bar?
Answer: Coyote Ugly
15. What 2005 remake of a classic science fiction story featured Martians invading Manhattan?
Answer: War of the Worlds
United Kingdom Movie Trivia
1. Danny Boyle’s 2000s film “28 Days Later” is a comedy about an unplanned pregnancy.
2. Which 1934 British film by Alfred Hitchcock was remade by Hitchcock in 1956 with James Stewart as the star?
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
- The Lady Vanishes
Answer: The Man Who Knew Too Much
3. Which famous real-life duo is the focus of the 1999 British biopic “Topsy-Turvy”?
Answer: Gilbert and Sullivan
4. Major Clipton utters what famous words as the final line in David Lean’s 1957 film “The Bridge On The River Kwai”?
- Madness!?Madness! Madness!
- The horror! The horror!
- Great Caesar’s ghost!
- Pity the children!
Answer: Madness!?Madness! Madness!
5. Singer Art Garfunkel starred in Nicolas Roeg’s 1980 British film “Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession”.
6. What is the weapon of choice of the villain Oddjob in the 1964 James Bond film “Goldfinger”?
- Steel-rimmed bowler hat
- Poisoned spear
- Gold-plated rifle
- Shoe with knife sticking out
Answer: Steel-rimmed bowler hat
7. At the beginning of Stanley Kubrick’s film “A Clockwork Orange,” Alex and his “droogs” are hanging out at the ____”.
Answer: Korova Milkbar
8. What image is associated with the opening of J. Arthur Rank films?
- Canoe being paddled upstream
- Growling bear
- Tree bending in the wind
- Man banging a gong
Answer: Man banging a gong
9. Jamie Bell won the best actor in a leading role BAFTA for his performance in the 2000 film “Billy Elliot”.
10. Who directed the 1982 feature film “The Draughtsman’s Contract”?
- Terence Davies
- Stephen Frears
- Peter Greenaway
- Michael Winterbottom
Answer: Peter Greenaway
11. Which British film production company is known for making horror films such as “The Curse Of Frankenstein” from 1957 and “Dracula” from 1958?
12. In the 1994 film “Four Weddings And A Funeral,” Andie McDowell as Carrie keeps running into Charles, played by whom, at social events? “
- Ralph Fiennes
- Hugh Grant
- Colin Firth
- Clive Owen
Answer: Hugh Grant
13. British director John Boorman received a best director Oscar nomination for his 1987 film “Hope And Glory,” which takes place during which conflict?
- World War II
- Wars of the Roses
- War of 1812
- Falklands War of 1982
Answer: World War II
14. The title characters in the 1987 comedy “Withnail & I” are two unemployed ___ who take a trip to the country.
15. Which is NOT a song from Carol Reed’s 1968 musical “Oliver!”?
- As Long As He Needs Me
- Food, Glorious Food
- I’d Do Anything
- It’s The Hard-Knock Life
Answer: It’s The Hard-Knock Life
United Kingdom 1980 Movie Trivia
1. In 1980 Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt starred in which film that portrayed the life of severely deformed Joseph Merrick in 19th century England?
Answer: The Elephant Man
2. 1980s psychological thriller The Shining starred?
- Bob Hoskins
- Jack Nicholson
- Charlton Heston
- Roger Moore
Answer: Jack Nicholson
3. The soundtrack to the 1980 file Flash Gordon was composed, performed and produced by which band?
4. The 1987 film based on the 1941 Happy Valley murder case in Kenya is titled?
Answer: White Mischief
5. The 1986 farcical comedy Clockwise about the madcap adventures of a headmaster attempting to travel to a headmasters conference starred?
- Stephen Fry
- Oliver Reed
- Bob Hoskins
- John Cleese
Answer: John Cleese
6. 1985s A View to a Kill the Bond villain Max Zorin was played by?
- Daniel Day-Lewis
- Christopher Walken
- Christopher Lee
Answer: Christopher Walken
7. Name the lead male and female actors in 1984s Educating Rita.
Answer: Michael Caine, Julie Walters
8. In the 1982 film Gandhi, directed by Richard Attenborough, who played Gandhi?
- Jeremy Irons
- Malcolm McDowell
- Ben Kingsley
- David Niven
Answer: Ben Kingsley
9. Which 1981 athletic bio-pic won 4 Oscars including best picture.
Answer: Chariots of Fire
10. The 1989 romantic comedy starring Jeff Goldblum, Emma Thompson, and Rowan Atkinson about an American actor working in London is__?
- The Tall Guy
- The Fall Guy
- The Tough Guy
- That Guy
Answer: The Tall Guy
11. For which 1989 film about a severely disabled writer and the artist did Daniel Day-Lewis win the best actor Oscar?
Answer: My Left Foot
12. Who played James Bond in the 1989 film Licence to Kill?
Answer: Timothy Dalton
13. In the 1989 film Shirley Valentine, a despondent Shirley?
- Shaves her head
- Changes her name
- Strips nude
- Talks to the wall
Answer: Talks to the wall
14. In 1988 John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and Michael Palin starred in the comedy
Answer: A Fish Called Wanda
15.1984s The Killing Fields was about?
- The World War II Dunkirk Landings
- The Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia
- The Everest upper base camp
- Industrial poison in Indian agriculture
Answer: The Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia
United Kingdom 2000s Movie Trivia
1. The 2009 film recounting the tales of pirate radio stations in the 1960s was?
Answer: The Boat That Rocked
2. The 2009 film Dorian Gray was based on a story by?
- Oscar Wilde
- H. P. Lovecraft
- W. H. Auden
- Somerset Maugham
Answer: Oscar Wilde
3. This 2009 thriller features Michael Caine as an aging estate resident who becomes a vigilante.
Answer: Harry Brown
4. Who played the female lead in 2008s The Duchess?
- Keira Knightley
- Emma Thompson
- Judi Dench
- Meryl Streep
Answer: Keira Knightley
5. The 2008 documentary about Philippe Petit’s 1974 high wire walk between the two towers of the World Trade Centre was?
- Steps of Time
- Man on a Wire
Answer: Man on a Wire
6. In 2008 which Bond movie was released?
- Casino Royale
- Quantum of Solace
- Die Another Day
- Tomorrow Never Dies
Answer: Quantum of Solace
7. The Last King of Scotland released in 2006 is set in?
8. In the 2006 film The Queen, who played The Queen?
- Helen Mirren
- Judi Dench
- Brittany Murphy
- Kate Winslet
Answer: Helen Mirren
9. Which Harry Potter movie was released in 2005?
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Answer: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
10. The Mike Leigh directed film Vera Drake, released in 2004 was about?
- A fashion designer in the 1920s
- An illegal abortionist in the 1950s
- The first female Harley Street doctor
- None of the above
Answer: An illegal abortionist in the 1950s
11. Name the hit 2004 romantic zombie comedy starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
Answer: Shaun of the Dead
12. In 2004 Geoffrey Rush starred in___?
Answer: The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
13. Rowin Atkinson played a James Bond like character in 2004s ____.
Answer: Johnny English
14. 2001 saw the opening up of whose diary?
Answer: Bridget Jones
15.2003s Touching the Void was about?
- Space Exploration
- Mountain Climbing
- Reproductive options for infertile couples
- Political PR spin
Answer: Mountain Climbing