It’s been said that some people eat to live, while others live to eat. To the true foodies of the world, food isn’t just fuel or sustenance – it’s a multi-sensory experience that can border on obsession. Food has the power to evoke memories, bring people together and spark joy.
Are you a budding home chef? Or a connoisseur who wants to eat your way around the world? Or maybe someone who just loves to eat and who thinks a good meal is one you don’t have to make yourself. Regardless, our food and drink trivia will tickle your fancy, arouse your appetite and leave you wanting more.
1. What is the name for a tough biscuit which sailors used in place of bread?
- Poor Mans Feast
- Rock cake
2.Which of these spices turns rice yellow?
3. In Indian cookery, what name is given to the flat oval bread cooked in the Tandoor?
4. What is added to Worcester sauce and lemon juice to make a Prairie Oyster?
- Unbroken Raw Egg
- Raw Minced Meat
- Soy Sauce
Answer: Unbroken raw egg
5. Marsala is a fortified wine originating where?
6. What does Aaloo mean on an Indian menu?
7. What is a flat pasta dish made with minced meat, tomatoes and white cheese sauce?
8. In Italy what are Grissini?
9. Langue de Chat is which type of French food?
10. As fruits and vegetables are ripe and harvested in large quantities, it is necessary to think about how to store and cure them so that they can be stored for a longer duration. The method used is called?
- Food curing
- Food preservation
Answer: Food preservation
11. Worcestershire sauce, the popular English sauce, is made from dissolved?
12. Coconut water is sterile and has an ideal pH level. It can be used (in emergencies) as a substitute for blood?
13. The tall chef’s hat is called a [t—-]
14. The colour of the twist tie on bread packaging signifies?
- Slice thickness
- Grain purity
- The day of the week of baking
- The presence of soy
Answer: The day of the week of baking
15. The English word dinner is thought to come from?
- The french word Disnar
- The Latin word Distro
- The greek word Destino
- The saxon word Dinata
Answer: The French word Disnar
16. The country in which desert tribes serve a dish of fish stuffed with eggs and put it inside a chicken. The chicken is then put inside a sheep, and the sheep is put inside a camel and roasted!
- Saudi Arabia
17. The Aborigines of Australia’s native food includes game meat such as kangaroo, turkey, and gonna, which is a kind of lizard. They call the food ____.
Answer: Bush tucks
18.Spicy chicken wings originated in which area of New York ? [——-]
19. This favourite spread for sandwiches was created by a doctor as a health food. In Africa where they were first grown, the main ingredient is known as groundnuts.
- Peanut butter
- Groundnut sauce
Answer : Peanut Butter
20. The French Name for a fish stew that combines many kinds of fish and shellfish is?
21.Banana is good for health since it contains potassium and helps to prevent [—–s]
22. Fibre helps to rid your body of waste and also makes you feel full. It is found in fruits and vegetables and whole-grain cereal. Fibre, however, is not?
23. What is the name of the curved mincing knife used for chopping fresh herbs?
24. In Thailand what is Nam pla?
Answer: Fish Sauce
25. Curacao, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau are all liqueurs flavoured with?
26. What name is given to the two-coloured oblong cake, usually covered in marzipan?
- Simnel cake
- Sally Lunn
27. In Hawaii, what sort of food is lomi lomi?
- Hand-massaged salmon
- Spicy coconut
- Stone baked pig
- Baked sweet potatoes
Answer: Hand-massaged salmon
28. What is a snipe?
29. The Ugly fruit is also known by what name?
30. Kit Kat candy bars originated in what country?
- United States
31. What is Sangria typically made with?
- White wine
- Red wine
Answer: Red wine
32. Baklava is a Greek or Turkish pastry filled with nuts and flavoured with what?
33. What canned meat product made its worldwide debut in 1937?
- Star’s Select
34. What is the capacity of a demijohn?
- One litre
- One gallon
- Two and a half litres gallons
- Four litres
Answer: One gallon
35. Which American singer had a 1968 hit with the single Honey?
- Barry Manilow
- Bobby Goldsboro
- Neil Diamond
- Barry White
Answer: Bobby Goldsboro
36. The Intel 8088 was followed by the 8086, the 80286, the 80386, the 80486. What followed the 486?
Answer: The Pentium
37.In Indian food, what is the name given to a mixture of spices, from the Hindi words for the hot mixture?
Answer: Garam Masala
38.In which 1980s American police television series was Frank Furillos nickname Pizzaman?
Answer: Hill Street Blues
39. What exists between infrared and short wave frequencies?
40. What is unusual about all the dishes in a Dim Sum?
- They are all liquid
- They are all steamed
- They are all green
- They are all frozen
Answer: They are all steamed
41. Which Earl allegedly changed the eating habits of the world over a game of cards?
Answer: The Earl of Sandwich
42. Who does the Kentucky Fried Chicken logo represent?
Answer: Colonel Sanders
43.Who was the American commercial pioneer of Frozen and dehydrated food who died in 1956?
Answer: Clarence Birdseye
44. Who was the demon barber of Fleet Street, who made his customers into pies?
Answer: Sweeney Todd
45. What type of pudding is a clafouti?
- Chocolate Mousse
- Batter Pudding
- Rice Pudding
Answer: Batter Pudding
46. What do you call a mixture of Champagne and orange juice?
- Horses Neck
- Bucks Fizz
- Black Velvet
Answer: Bucks Fizz
47. From which part of a pig is Brawn made?
48. What is the name of a French implement for cutting vegetables?
49. In what year did Diet Pepsi first appear?
50. Bannock and Chapati are what?
51. Boysenberries generally can only be found during which month of the year?
52. Shakespeare’s play “Twelfth Night” begins, If [—–] be the food of love, play on.
53. A detritivore is an animal that specifically eats what?
- Organic waste
- Bamboo shoots
Answer: Organic waste
54. Which celebrity chef does plenty of cooking on his or her instructional TV series “Everyday Italian”?
- Giada De Laurentiis
- Jamie Oliver
- Nigella Lawson
- Gordon Ramsay
Answer: Giada De Laurentiis
55. What is the food of the gods in Greek and Roman mythology?
56. What specific sauce tops on Egg Benedict?
- Plum sauce
- Hollandaise sauce
- Marinara sauce
- Soy sauce
Answer: Hollandaise sauce
57.In the 1973 film “Soylent Green,” the title refers to food for the masses, but Charlton Heston discovers at the end that “Soylent Green is” what?
- Vampire blood
58. The zucchini, which is typically eaten cooked, is called what in Great Britain?
59. What was invented by Clarence Birdseye that revolutionised the food industry and garnered him a place in the National Inventors Hall of Fame in the US?
- The can opener
- Process for freezing food
- The microwave oven
- Process for vacuum-packing food
Answer: Process for freezing food
60. In Charles Dickens’ novel “Oliver Twist,” Oliver famously says what because he’s still hungry and wants food? [P—– —, I —- —- —-]
Answer: Please sir, I want some more
61. Conchiglie pasta is shaped like what?
- Long ribbons
- Wagon wheels
62. What is the name of the dip consisting of mashed chickpeas, tahini, oil, garlic and lemon juice?
63. Morgan Spurlock eats nothing but what for one month in the 2000s documentary “Super Size Me”?
- Raw nuts
- Food from McDonald’s
- Mozzarella cheese
- Banana splits from Baskin-Robbins
Answer: Food from McDonald’s
64. Liptauer cheese originated in which country?
65. In the 1982 #1 hit “Down Under,” what food item is given by “a man in Brussels” after he’s asked, “Do you speak-a my language”?
Answer: Vegemite sandwich
66. What is the English translation of the Malaysian dish “nasi goreng”?
- Baked clams
- Raw pork
- Boiled peppers
- Fried rice
Answer: Fried rice
You May Also Like – 40+ Best Alcohol Trivia Questions and Answers
Meat Loaf Trivia
1. What was Meat Loafs birth name?
- Martin Leigh Afferton
- Martin Leigh Aday
- Michael Lee Aday
- Marvin Lee Aday
Answer: Marvin Lee Aday
2. In which 1999 movie did Meat Loaf play Robert “Bob” Paulson?
- The Green Mile
- The Sixth Sense
- The Matrix
- The Mummy
- Double Jeopardy
- Fight Club
- Wild Wild West
- The Haunting
Answer: Fight Club
3. In 2001 Meat Loaf changed his first name to?
4. On April 6, 2009, Meat Loaf appeared on which television show about an eccentric genius doctor?
5. Which Meat Loaf song contains these lyrics? Baby we can talk all night But that ain’t gettin us nowhere I told you everything I possibly can There’s nothing left inside of here
- Home by Now
- Modern Girl
- Is Nothing Sacred
- Two Out of Three Aint Bad
Answer: Two Out of Three Aint Bad
6. Which Meat Loaf song begins The sirens are screaming and the fires are howling Way down in the valley tonight There’s a man in the shadows with a gun in his eye?
- Heaven Can Wait
- Bat out of Hell
- I’d Do Anything for Love
- Nocturnal Pleasure
- Dead Ringer for Love
Answer: Bat out of Hell
7. The third installment of the Bat Out Of Hell is titled? Bat out of Hell III:
Answer: The Monster Is Loose
8. Meat Loaf said that one of the two biggest highlights of his career was?
- Singing at the MLB All-Star Game
- Singing at the Oscars
- Singing at the Grammys
- Singing at the Whitehouse
Answer: singing at the MLB All-Star Game
9. MeatLoafs longtime collaborator who was involved with Bat out of Hell I and II is? J– S——-
Answer: Jim Steinman
10. Meat Loaf’s first band was called ?
- Meat Loaf Lonely
- Meatloaf Slice
- Meat Loaf Soul
- Meat Roll Rollers
Answer: Meat Loaf Soul
UK Food and Drink Trivia
1. I am made from flour, eggs and milk. I am often served with roast beef and potatoes. I am sometimes referred to as Pockets. What am I?
Answer: Yorkshire pudding
2. Usually a herring, I am a small fish that has been sliced from head to tail, gutted and salted, pickled or smoked. A breakfast favourite, I am?
3. I am a small quick bread, originally served in Scotland my popularity has now spread. I am often served with cream and jam. I am a?
4. The first fish and chip shop opened in London in?
5. A Cornish Fairing is a?
- Fish dish
- Boiled sweet
- Ginger biscuit
- Pastie containing rabbit
Answer: Ginger biscuit
6. In Scotland, you would eat a Cullen Skink with?
- A knife and fork
- A spoon
- Your hands
- Two plates and a skewer
Answer: a spoon
7. In Wales, you would eat Cawl with?
- A knife and fork
- A spoon
- Your hands
- Two plates and a skewer
Answer: A spoon
8. Laverbread is made from?
- Goats milk and flour
- Wheat and milk
- Fish and wheat
9. I am a shelled hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage mixture. What am I? [—— —]
Answer: Scotch egg
10. The Melton Mowbray is a type of?
- Pork Pie
11. Earl John Montagu, who lived in the 1700s is often credited with inventing the? [——–]
12. The most common type of cheese in the UK is?
13. A type of sausage that is created by cooking dried blood or bone. Variations can be found all around the world but in the UK I am most associated with Lancashire. [—– ——-]
Answer: Black Pudding
14. Partan bree is a?
15. I have a Hindi-Urdu name that was adopted into English. I am a pastry sauce, traditionally prepared with a mortar and pestle. My flavour and ingredients can vary greatly. I am a? [C——]
International Cuisines Trivia
1. Where was Waldorf Salad created?
Answer: New York
2. What is the favourite flavour ice cream of Americans?
3. In food, a shallot is a small member of which family of vegetables?
4. What flavour is Bigarade Sauce?
5. What is the most predominant colour in a bag of M&M candies?
6. In food, what name is given to dried plums?
7. In food, what makes up the raw ingredients of crudite appetisers?
8. A dessert consisting of halved peaches, vanilla ice cream, covered in a certain sauce is named after which Australian opera singer, born Helen Mitchell?
Answer: Nellie Melba
9. What shape are Manicotti Pasta?
10. What type of nut is used to make Pesto Sauce?
Answer: Pine nuts
11. Tartare sauce is traditionally served with what?
12. What do the English usually call the fruit of the Horse Chestnut tree?
13. What name is given to ice cream in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla layers?
14. What is Paprika?
Answer: Hungarian Red Pepper
15. In food, what ‘P’ is used to describe beans, peas and lentils?
16. What is Kromeski?
Answer: A Type Of Meat Croquette
17. Which island do you associate with Jerk Chicken?
18. If you crimp a pie crust, what do you do to it?
Answer: Create a decorative edge
19. In Indian cookery, what type of meat is Murghi?
20. A Hunza is which type of fruit?
21. Pilsner, Bock, and Malt Liquor are types of?
22. Olives are a good source of which vitamin?
Answer: Vitamin E