Putting your feet up with a relaxing tipple at the end of a long day is one of life’s small pleasures. And who doesn’t like popping a champagne cork and raising a glass when the occasion fits? Trivia nights are also even more fun and entertaining when you throw a few drinks into the mix.
Do you know a Bellini from a Buck’s fizz? What about the origin of the word ‘lager’? Or what goes into a Long Island Iced Tea? Test your knowledge of all things beverage-related with these alcohol trivia questions. Throw back a cold one, wet your whistle and see if you’re as smart as you think you are.
1. A beer which uses a top-fermenting yeast and pale malt is referred to as a?
Answer: Pale Ale
2. A Porter is a?
- Apple based alcoholic cider
- Large bottle used to move beer in the 1800s
- Small glass for serving Port
- A dark colored style of beer
Answer: A dark colored style of beer
3. Founded in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland I am a liquor brand first appearing in 1820. I differentiate my offerings by assigning them different colours just as blue, black or gold.
Answer: Johnnie Walker
4. Cask conditioning of Beer in UK public houses was outlawed in 1983 due to health and safety concerns. True or False?
5. The most renowned traditional English ale hop varieties are?
- Knowles and Triggers
- Fuggles and Goldings
- Rabs and Dots
- Topside and Halves
Answer: Fuggles and Goldings
6. In 2010 English and Welsh wine sales made up of the wine consumed in the UK.
7. Port wine originated in?
8. The two main categories of Gin are?
- Blended and Pure
- Single and Double Distilled
- Distilled and Compound
- Mixed and Seated
Answer: Distilled and Compound
9. The English word Spirit comes from the Latin spiritus meaning?
10. The French phrase Vin de pays means?
- Expensive Wine
- Wine of the World
- Our Wine / French Wine
- Country Wine
Answer: Country Wine
11. The Pinot noir grape is primarily associated with which region of France?
12. A Garagiste is a?
- Craftsman who makes barrels
- Someone who studies the science of grapevines
- The person in charge of creating a Wine list
- An amatuer wine maker
Answer: An amatuer wine maker
13. ABV on a wine bottle stands for?
Answer: alcohol by volume
14. Varietal wines are?
- Not designed to be consumed with food
- Made from multiple grape varieties
- Made from a single grape variety
- Very young
Answer: Made from a single grape variety
You May Also Like – Food and Drink Trivia: 110+ Questions & Answers
15. In vino veritas is translated as ____.
Answer: In wine there is truth
Alcoholic Drinks Trivia Questions and Answers
1. I am thought to have been invented in Hussong’s Cantina in Mexico in 1941. I contain tequila and lemon or lime juice. I am a?
2. I am a fortified wine known to some as Vinho do Porto and to others as merely?
3. A Gibson cocktail contains gin, vermouth and?
- Orange juice
- A pickled onion
- A lemon slice
Answer: a pickled onion
4. A cocktail made with triple sec, vodka, cranberry juice and lime juice. I am a?
- Harvey Wallbanger
- Flaming Sambuca
- White Russian
5. Chardonnay grapes, used in the production of white wine originated in the Burgundy region in France. True or False?
6. Are there more Riesling or Merlot grapes grown in France each year?
7. Around the world beer usually contains what percentage of alcohol content?
- 4% to 6%
- 6% to 8%
- 8% to 12%
- Usually over 12%
Answer: 4% to 6%
8. The earliest known chemical evidence of beer was found in western Iran, it dates back to?
- The 1400s
- The 1200s
- 3500-3000 BC
- The early Neolithic or 9500 BC
Answer: 3500-3000 BC
9. If a Scotch is Single-Malt this means that it contains?
- Only malted grains
- Only rye
- Rye and wheat that was malted only once
- Malted barley from a single distillery
Answer: malted barley from a single distillery
10. Traditionally Vodka has an alcoholic content of? (by volume
11. Beefeater is a brand of?
12. I am a popular shot, combining Sambuca and Irish cream liqueur.
Answer: Slippery Nipple
13. In a single season, an acre of grapevines can produce how many bottles of wine?
- Around 50
- Around 500
- Around 1000
- Around 4000
Answer: around 4000
14. The year on a bottle of wine is?
- The year the grapes were grown
- The year the wine was barrelled
- The year the win was bottled
- The year of release for sale
Answer: The year the grapes were grown
15. Where would you find wine legs?
- In a vineyard
- In a wine glass
- On the outside of a bottle
- In a wine cellar
Answer: In a wine glass
16. A classic martini is garnished with olives, while a Gibson martini is garnished with what?
- Celery sticks
- Lemon wedges
- Maraschino cherries
- Pickled onions
Answer: Pickled onions
17. Whose first-ever line in a talkie was “Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don’t be stingy, baby!” in the 1930 film “Anna Christie”?
- Greta Garbo
- Katharine Hepburn
- Marlene Dietrich
- Mae West
Answer: Greta Garbo
18. The Long Bar at Raffles Hotel in an Asian island nation is home to which popular cocktail?
Answer: Singapore Sling
19. Rapper Busta Rhymes had a 2002 hit with which is song featuring an alcoholic beverage?
- Pass The Courvoisier
- Gimme The Johnny Walker
- Drinkin’ My Southern Comfort
- Do It With The Dom Perignon
Answer: Pass The Courvoisier
20. The Greek liqueur ouzo is flavoured with what?
21. What is added to an alcoholic drink when it is ordered “neat”?
- Crushed ice
- Lots of water
22. A cocktail consisting of crme de menthe, crme de cacoa and cream is named after which insect?
23. What alcoholic beverage is Homer Simpson’s drink of choice?
- Bloody Caesar
- Duff Beer
- Smirnoff Ice Raspberry Burst
Answer: Duff Beer
24. What drink is traditionally served at the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in the US?
- Bloody Mary
- Fuzzy Navel
- Mint Julep
Answer: Mint Julep
25. Which TV sitcom featured the main characters running their own microbrewery and making Buzz Beer?
- The Drew Carey Show
- That ’70s Show
Answer: The Drew Carey Show
26. Absolut vodka was first exported from which country in 1979?
27. What fungus is used in the winemaking process in some wines like French Sauternes to increase the sugar content?
Answer: Noble rot
28. Besides whiskey and bitters, what is typically in Manhattan?
- Dark rum
- Orange juice
29. What French liqueur made by Carthusian monks comes specifically in green and yellow varieties?
- Grand Marnier
30. In the 1995 film “GoldenEye,” James Bond places the drink order ____ shaken, not stirred.
Answer: Vodka martini