The last 20 years has truly been a roller-coaster ride the world over. Exuberant highs, dramatic lows, devastating tragedies, and triumphs of the human spirit. Narrow escapes, monumental curve-balls, technological advances beyond our wildest dreams. ‘Fast Food Nation’ had everyone sitting upright at their dinner table, Apple dominated the tech industry and Ed Sheeran, Beyonce and Adele ruled the airwaves and George W Bush was the most powerful politician in the world.
Our 2000s trivia covers everything from historical world events to sport, movies, music, fashion fads and more. Put your memory to the test and see how much you remember about the noughties.
1. Vicente Fox was elected President of Mexico in July 2000, ending 71 years of rule by what political party?
- Institutional Revolutionary Party
- National Action Party
- Mexican People’s Party
- Republican National Party
Answer: Institutional Revolutionary Party
2. The year 2000 marked the first official visit by a Roman Catholic Pontiff to which country?
3. What game console was released in Japan on March 4, 2000?
- Sega Dreamcast
- Sony Playstation 2
- Microsoft Xbox
- Nintendo Gamecube
Answer: Sony Playstation 2
4. The 2000 Summer Olympics were held in which city?
- Barcelona, Spain
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Sydney, Australia
- Shanghai, China
Answer: Sydney, Australia
5. In October 2000, suicide bombers piloting a small boat laden with explosives pulled alongside a US Navy destroyer in port in Aden, Yemen, badly damaging the ship, killing 17 crew members and wounding at least 39. What was the name of the ship?
- USS Arleigh Burke
- USS Cole
- USS Alfred P. Murrah
- USS The Sullivans
Answer: USS Cole
6. Which of the following actors did NOT die in the year 2000?
- Sir Alec Guinness
- Walter Matthau
- Hedy Lamarr
- Peter Falk
Answer: Peter Falk
7. In November 2000, Hillary Rodham Clinton became the first First Lady of the US to do what?
- Visit China
- file for divorce from the President
- win elected office
- host her daughter’s wedding in the White House
Answer: win elected office
8. The famously controversial outcome of the 2000 US Presidential election hinged on recounts occurring in what state?
9. What movie held the record for top grossing film worldwide in 2000?
- Mission: Impossible II
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Answer: Mission: Impossible II
10. What popular American children’s television show debuted in 2000?
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- Hannah Montana
- Dora the Explorer
- Yo Gabba Gabba!
Answer: Dora the Explorer
11. What team won the US Major League Baseball World Series in 2000?
- New York Yankees
- New York Mets
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Baltimore Orioles
Answer: New York Yankees
12. What comic strip had its final original strip published February 13, 2000, hours after the death of its creator?
- Calvin and Hobbes
- Little Orphan Annie
- Beetle Bailey
13. According to the Hebrew calendar, the year 2000 marked what year?
14. Opened in 2000, what is the most visited modern art gallery in the world?
Answer: Tate Modern, London
15. The first resident crew entered the International Space Station in 2000. When was the first component launched?
16. East Timor declared its independence from which nation in 2002?
17. Which world leader resigned in 2008 due to health reasons?
- Helmut Kohl
- Fidel Castro
- George Bush Sr.
- Tony Blair
Answer: Fidel Castro
18. The band ____ was formed in New Jersey in 2001.
Answer: My Chemical Romance
19. NASA’s exploration rover Spirit landed on which celestial body in January 2004?
- The Moon
20. Which film did NOT won the best picture Oscar in the 2000s?
- The Hurt Locker
- Mystic River
- A Beautiful Mind
- The Departed
Answer: Mystic River
21. In 2005, the ____, a treaty aimed at reducing emissions of greenhouse gases, came into force.
Answer: Kyoto Protocol
22. Which company launched its Wii game console in 2006?
- Tyson Gay
- Michael Phelphs
- Liu Xiang
- Nastia Liukin
23. In 2004, which athlete became the first to win eight medals at a non-boycotted Olympic Games?
- Tyson Gay
- Michael Phelphs
- Liu Xiang
- Nastia Liukin
Answer: Michael Phelphs
24. Which is NOT a novel in Dan Brown’s 2000-09 Robert Langdon series?
- Angels and Demons
- The Da Vinci Code
- The Lost Symbol
- Along Came A Spider
Answer: Along Came A Spider
25.At the Grammy Awards in 2001, Eminem performed “Stan” in a duet with what singer? “
- Britney Spears
- Paul McCartney
- Elton John
- Amy Winehouse
Answer: Elton John
26. The US’s ____ began in 1990 and was completed in 2003.
Answer: Human Genome Project
27. The 2006 Tony Award-winning musical “Jersey Boys” is about ____.
Answer: Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons
28. In Australian football, which AFL team won three consecutive Grand Finals from 2001-03?
- St. Kilda
29. In 2001, which country became the first to legalise same-sex marriage?
- The Netherlands
Answer: The Netherlands
30. Which crime drama premiered on 6th October 2000 on CBS in the US?
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
- Rizzoli & Isles
- Person Of Interest
Answer: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
You May Also Like – 70+ Best 1990s Trivia Questions and Answers
2000s Movies Quiz Questions and Answers
1. I am an animated movie released in 2008 that tells the story of an obese bear who is chosen as the dragon warrior. What’s my title?
Answer: Kung Fu Panda
2. A violent file set in 1863 and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Day-Lewis, I was released in 2002 and directed by Martin Scorsese. My title is?
Answer: Gangs Of New York
3. I was released in 2002 and starred Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry. I was based on an Ian Flemming character and have a three-word title, what is my title?
Answer: Die Another Day
4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was released in?
5. Who played oil prospector Daniel Plainview in the 2007 movie There Will Be Blood?
Answer: Daniel Day-Lewis
6. Which of these films was not directed by Clint Eastwood?
- Flags of Our Fathers
- Gran Torino
- Body of Lies
- Mystic River
Answer: Body of Lies
7. I am a film released in 2000 in which Guy Pierce plays a man suffering short term memory loss. What’s my single word title?
8. Which movie franchise is this line from? When you marooned me on that God-forsaken spit of land you forgot one very important thing mate… I’m Captain Jack Sparrow.
Answer: Pirates of the Caribbean
9. I am a film producer, director and screenwriter specialising in comedies. My movies include Knocked Up, Superbad, Step Brothers, Pineapple Express and Funny People. Who am I?
Answer: Judd Apatow
10. What is taken from Liam Neeson that he is searching for in the 2008 thriller “Taken”?
- His ex-wife
- A briefcase full of diamonds
- A nuclear device
- His daughter
Answer: His daughter
11. Which of the following actors did NOT appear in Paul Haggis’ 2004 film “Crash”?
- Matt Dillon
- Don Cheadle
- Matt Damon
- Ryan Phillippe
Answer: Matt Dillon
12. Daniel Day-Lewis played which character in the 2007 film “There Will Be Blood”?
Answer: Daniel Plainview
13. In the 2000 film “Almost Famous,” a teenager is hired by which magazine to write a story about the band Stillwater? “
- Rolling Stone
- Entertainment Weekly
Answer: Rolling Stone
14. The 2003 film “Big Fish” starred Albert Finney as Ed Bloom the elder and ____ as Ed Bloom the younger.
Answer: Ewan McGregor
15. George Clooney won a best supporting actor Oscar for his role in which film of the 2000s?
- Burn After Reading
- Michael Clayton
16. WALL-E falls in love with a robot named ___ in the 2008 animated film “WALL-E”.
17. The 2009 film “Inglourious Basterds” is set during which conflict?
- World War I
- Korean War
- Vietnam War
- World War II
Answer: World War II
18. Lindsay Lohan joins which A-list clique at her school in the 2004 film “Mean Girls”?
- The Plastics
- Killer Bees
- The Berthas
- The Shiners
Answer: The Plastics
19. Which set of siblings co-starred as siblings in the 2001 film “Donnie Darko”?
- Luke and Owen Wilson
- John and Joan Cusack
- Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Ben and Casey Affleck
Answer: Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal
20. What is the English title of the 2006 film “Das Leben der Anderen,” winner of an Oscar for best foreign language film?
Answer: The Lives of Others
21. What is the subtitle of the 2004 Will Ferrell film “Anchorman”?
- The One That Got Away
- The Legend of Ron Burgundy
- What Goes Around Comes Around
- My Best Friend’s Husband Joey
Answer: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
22. The 2003 film “The Italian Job” famously features which cars as getaway vehicles?
- Mini Coopers
- Honda Civics
- Volkswagen Beetles
- Smart Cars
Answer: Mini Coopers
23. Which of the following films of the 2000s was NOT based on a true story?
- Old School
- Antwone Fisher
- Catch Me If You Can
Answer: Old School
24. King Leonidas rallies his Spartan troops in the 2006 film “300” by saying what?
- If they bleed, we can kill them!
- Don’t send our daughters to the slaughter!
- Tonight, we dine in hell!
- My kingdom for a valiant few!
Answer: Tonight, we dine in hell!
UK Films 2000s Trivia Questions and Answers
1. The 2009 film recounting the tales of pirate radio stations in the 1960s was?
Answer: The Boat That Rocked
2. The 2009 film Dorian Gray was based on a story by?
- Oscar Wilde
- H. P. Lovecraft
- W. H. Auden
- Somerset Maugham
Answer: Oscar Wilde
3. This 2009 thriller features Michael Caine as an aging estate resident who becomes a vigilante.
Answer: Harry Brown
3. Who played the female lead in 2008s The Duchess?
- Keira Knightley
- Emma Thompson
- Judi Dench
- Meryl Streep
Answer: Keira Knightley
4. The 2008 documentary about Philippe Petit’s 1974 high wire walk between the two towers of the World Trade Centre was?
- Steps of Time
- Man on a Wire
Answer: Man on a Wire
5. In 2008 which Bond movie was released?
- Casino Royale
- Quantum of Solace
- Die Another Day
- Tomorrow Never Dies
Answer: Quantum of Solace
6. The Last King of Scotland released in 2006 is set in?
7. In the 2006 film The Queen, who played The Queen?
- Helen Mirren
- Judi Dench
- Brittany Murphy
- Kate Winslet
Answer: Helen Mirren
8. Which Harry Potter movie was released in 2005?
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Answer: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
9. The Mike Leigh directed film Vera Drake, released in 2004 was about?
- A fashion designer in the 1920s
- An illegal abortionist in the 1950s
- The first female Harley Street doctor
- None of the above
Answer: An illegal abortionist in the 1950s
10. Name the hit 2004 romantic zombie comedy starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
Answer: Shaun of the Dead
11. In 2004 Geoffrey Rush starred in___.
Answer: The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
12. Rowen Atkinson played a James Bond like character in 2004s.
Answer: Johnny English
13. 2001 saw the opening up of whose diary?
Answer: [Bridget Jones]
14. 2003s Touching the Void was about?
- Space Exploration
- Mountain Climbing
- Reproductive options for infertile couples
- Political PR spin
Answer: Mountain Climbing
15. In January 2000 a painting by ____ was stolen from Oxfords Ashmolean Museum.
UK History 2000s Trivia Questions and Answers
1. In January 2000 Dr. Harold Shipman was?
- Appointed Minister for Defence
- Sued for libel
- Sentenced to life in prison
Answer: Sentenced to life in prison
2. In March 2000 Britain extradited which former South American leader even though he had been an ally during the Falklands War.
3. In August 2000 The Queen Mother turned?
4. In December 2000 British director Guy Ritchie marries which international pop superstar?
5. 28th of June 2005 saw a large military ceremony, involving thousands of personnel, celebrating the bicentenary of?
- the Battle of Waterloo
- the Battle of Trafalgar
- the Battle of The Bulge
- the founding of the Royal Marines
Answer: the founding of the Royal Marines
6. On 25th November 2005 which football great and long term alcoholic died?
Answer: George Best
7. On March 1st 2006 The Senedd debating chamber is opened by the Queen. In which country is it located?
8. In March 2006, head of state Luiz Lula da Silva visits the UK, which country is he from?
9.On 17th July 2006, George W. Bush famously greeted Tony Blair with?
- Your Majesty
- Sir Blair
- Blair my man
- Yo Blair
Answer: Yo Blair
10. In August 2008 Great Britain wins 19 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze medals in which city?
11. In November 2008 which Brit becomes the youngest ever Formula One World Champion?
Answer: Lewis Hamilton
12. On 22 February 1999 which British / Indian film won 8 Oscars?
Answer: Slumdog Millionaire
13. On 25th February 2009, Prime Ministers Question Time is suspended for the first time since 1994, this was due to?
- The death of labor leader John Smith
- The death of David Camerons son
- Flooding in the Houses of Westminster
- An terrorist anthrax scare
Answer: The death of David Camerons son
14. Keith Richards was knighted in December 2003. True or False?