The 1990s brought us lots of memorable things that have stood the test of time (like the internet) and other things we’d rather forget (‘Achy Breaky Heart’, anyone?). If you weren’t wearing Doc Martens and playing with your Tamagotchi while you watched ‘Buffy’, you just weren’t one of the cool kids.
Some of the most memorable events in history – from Operation Desert Storm to Monica Lewinsky & Bill Clinton, the Waco siege and Dolly the sheep – also took place in in the 1990s. How much can you recall about the decade that bought us the Ipod, the discman, Hotmail, ‘Clueless’ and ‘Forrest Gump’? Take a walk down memory lane into the not-too-distant past and see how much 1990s trivia you remember.
1. Which group released its debut album “The Sign” in 1993?
- Ace of Base
- Backstreet Boys
Answer: Ace of Base
2. In December 1999, Macau was transferred from which country to become a Special Administrative Region of China?
- South Korea
3. Which character was introduced in the 1992 video game “Sonic The Hedgehog 2”?
- Slippy Toad
4. Julia Roberts starred with Richard Gere in the 1990 film “Pretty Woman” and which other-film of the 1990s?
- My Best Friend’s Wedding
- Muriel’s Wedding
- Father Of The Bride
- Runaway Bride
Answer: Runaway Bride
5. Which of these countries did NOT declare its independence from Yugoslavia in 1991?
6. Dolly, born in 1996 as the first successfully cloned mammal, was which type of animal?
7. From 1994-99, ___ served as president of South Africa.
Answer: Nelson Mandela
8. What was featured on the cover of the 1991-released album “Nevermind” by Nirvana?
- A man drinking beer in a bar
- A musician smashing his guitar
- A naked baby under water
- Dali’s ‘The Persistence Of Memory’ painting
Answer: A naked baby under water
9. Who played the mysterious young man Paul in the 1993 film “Six Degrees Of Separation”?
- Will Smith
- Kevin Bacon
- Brad Pitt
- Jamie Foxx
Answer: Will Smith
10. A joint venture between France and England, the ___ officially opened on 6th May 1994.
Answer: Channel Tunnel
11. George Clooney starred as Dr Douglas Ross on which TV series from 1994-99?
- Chicago Hope
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
- Crossing Jordan
12. Intel introduced its first ___ processor in 1993.
13. Which video game series that began in 1996 features Raccoon City and dealings with zombies?
- The Sims
- Resident Evil
- Call Of Duty
- God Of War
Answer: Resident Evil
14. Which famous quote is featured in the 1999 film “The Sixth Sense”?
- I see dead people
- I’m your number one fan
- Show me the money
- You make me want to be a better man
Answer: I see dead people
15. In 1993, Eritrea declared its independence from which African country?
- South Africa
You May Also Like – 30+ Best 1920s Trivia Questions and Answers
1990s Trivia About Movies
1. In the 1992 film “Reservoir Dogs,” the main criminals are named after what?
- Dog breeds
- Cities in New York State
2. Martin Landau won a best-supporting actor Oscar for playing which real-life actor in the 1994 film “Ed Wood”?
- Bela Lugosi
- James Stewart
- Vincent Price
- Peter Lorre
Answer: Bela Lugosi
3. Arnold Schwarzenegger first said his famous line “hasta la vista, baby” in which film of the 1990s?
- Batman & Robin
- Total Recall
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Answer: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4. The title character played by Wesley Snipes in the 1998 film “Blade” is part human and part.
5. The well-known poster from the 1999 film “American Beauty” features a right hand holding what against a female torso?
- Blue envelope
- Red rose
- Black pen
- Green apple
Answer: Red rose
6. The bank robbers in the 1991 film “Point Break” wear masks of former US presidents when committing crimes.
7. Who played Juliet to Leonardo DiCaprio’s Romeo in the 1996 film “Romeo + Juliet,” Baz Luhrmann’s updated version of Shakespeare’s play?
- Sandra Bullock
- Claire Danes
- Kirsten Dunst
- Helen Hunt
Answer: Claire Danes
8. The 1992 film version of David Mamet’s play “Glengarry Glen Ross” concerns a group of men who work in which field?
- Real estate
- Computer hardware
- Pharmaceutical research
- Silver mining
Answer: Real estate
9. Which of these “Kingly” films did NOT premiere in the 1990s?
- Three Kings
- The Fisher King
- The Last King Of Scotland
- The Lion King
Answer: The Last King Of Scotland
10. Mark Wahlberg’s adult movie nickname is ____ in the 1997 film “Boogie Nights”.
Answer: Dirk Diggler
11. In the 1995 film “Se7en,” a serial killer uses what as his theme for his murders?
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Seven days of the week
- Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
- Names of the Seven Dwarfs
Answer: Seven Deadly Sins
12. The Oscar-winning 1996 film “The English Patient” was based on a novel by Stephen King.
13. The sequel to the 1990 film “Home Alone” was “Home Alone 2: Lost In ____”.
Answer: New York
14. In the 1996 film “Jerry Maguire,” Rod Tidwell makes what famous demand from Jerry Maguire?
- Don’t slam that door!
- Get out of my car!
- Make me a milkshake!
- Show me the money!
Answer: Show me the money!
15. In the 1997 film “Good Will Hunting,” Matt Damon works as a janitor at which famous locale in the US?
- The White House
- Madison Square Garden
1990s Trivia About UK History
1. Who had a number 1 hit with Hangin Tough in 1990?
Answer: New Kids On The Block
2. Who had a UK number 1 hit with Black Or White in 1991?
Answer: Michael Jackson
3. Which team became Football League champions for a record 18th time in 1990?
- Manchester United
- Tottenham Hotspur
4. In April 1990 Stephen Hendry became the youngest what in UK history?
- Army General
- Member of Parliament
- Published Author
- Snooker World Champion
Answer: Snooker World Champion
5. In the 90s what was Bovine spongiform encephalopathy more commonly known as?
Answer: mad cow disease
6. Which alliterated group had a UK number 1 hit in 1999 with I Want It That Way?
Answer: Backstreet Boys
7. Signed by British and Irish governments in April 1998 the Belfast Agreement is also known as?
Answer: The Good Friday Agreement
8. In 1997 a fast food chain won a long-running libel case against two environmental campaigners in what was known as the?
- Burger Case
- Pizza Healing Case
- McLibel Case
- Slander with Fries Case
Answer: McLibel Case
9. On the first of July 1997, the long term lease expired on which location?
Answer: Hong Kong
10. In 1997 the Queen and Prince Philip celebrate their?
- 30th wedding anniversary
- 45th wedding anniversary
- 50th wedding anniversary
- 60th wedding anniversary
Answer: 50th wedding anniversary
11. In 1996 Dolly, a resident of The Roslin Institute in Scotland became famous. What is she?
- A Cow
- A Computer
- A Goat
- A Sheep
Answer: A Sheep
12. In 1996 the Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix was won by Brit?
- Steve Davies
- Nigel Mansell
- Damon Hill
- Lewis Hamilton
Answer: Damon Hill
13. I am a UK 1994 romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell. With a budget of 4 million US dollars, I went on to gross over 245 million.
Answer: Four Weddings and a Funeral
14. In September 1994 Andrew Wiles announced a proof for which famous mathematical conjecture from 1637?
Answer: Fermats Last Theorem
15. The 90s musical movement including bands such as Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, Massive Attack, Oasis and The Spice Girls was known as?
1990s Trivia About UK Films
1. Gary Oldman, Tim Roth and Richard Dreyfuss starred in this 1990 film version of a play with the same name.
Answer: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
2. This 1990 gangster bio-pic starred Martin and Gary Kemp as Ron and Reggie.
Answer: The Krays
3. This 1992 film was based on an E. M. Forster novel, starred Emma Thompson, Anthony Hopkins and Helena Bonham Carter and was set in Edwardian England.
Answer: Howards End
4. Who directed the 1992 film Chaplin?
- Kenneth Branagh
- Richard Attenborough
- Neil Jordan
- James Ivory
Answer: Richard Attenborough
5. Which 1992 film, tells of the experiences of a member of the IRA and his encounter with a prisoner and her girlfriend.
Answer: The Crying Game
6. In 1993 Kenneth Branagh directed and appeared in a film version of which Shakespeare play?
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Tempest
- The Merchant of Venice
- Twelfth Night
Answer: Much Ado About Nothing
7. Name the 1994 black comedy directed by Danny Boyle, that tells the tale of a dead flatmate and suitcase full of cash.
Answer: Shallow Grave
8. Who played James Bond in 1995s GoldenEye?
Answer: Pierce Brosnan
9. The 1994 film Backbeat chronicles the early days of?
- Iron Maiden
- The Rolling Stones
- The BBC
- None of the above
Answer: None of the above
10. In GoldenEye Judi Dench replaced actor Robert Brown and appeared as?
11. 1995s The Hard Case was the directorial debut of which crime thriller director who went on to direct Sherlock Holmes and marry a music superstar.
Answer: Guy Ritchie
12. In 1995 Nigel Hawthorne starred in the royal bio-pic
Answer: The Madness of King George
13. Name the 1999 comedy starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.
Answer: Notting Hill
14. Which 1999 period drama film portrays a family in the early 1900s defending their honour when the 13-year old son is thrown out of the Royal Naval College due to theft accusations.
- Not For The World
- The Postal Order
- The Winslow Boy
- The Trench
Answer: The Winslow Boy
15. In 1998 Joseph Fiennes played William Shakespeare in?
- On Bended Knee
- Shakespeare in Love
- The Scribe
- Nights and Days
Answer: Shakespeare in Love
1990s Trivia About New York History
1. In January 1993 the NYC unemployment rate hit the highest since the great depression?
2. Who was elected mayor of NYC in 1993?
Answer: Rudy Giuliani
3. In 1994, what NY team won its first sports championship since 1940?
4. What NYC landmark was bombed by Muslin extremists in February 1993, killing six and injuring thousands?
Answer: World Trade Center
5. hat terrorist currently held by the US in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for involvement in the 9/11 terror attacks was also involved in a previous attack on the WTC?
Answer: Khalid Sheikh Mohammad
6. Who was the NYC police commissioner in the early 1990s?
Answer: William Bratton
7. What was the first big Disney-based Broadway musical that opened in 1994?
Answer: Beauty and the Beast
8. What musical opened on Times Square in 1997 and is still running today after over 5,600 performances?
Answer: The Lion King
9. What legendary police /courtroom procedural show set in NYC began in 1990?
Answer: Law & Order
10. What famous comedy with characters Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer was set in NYC in the 1990s?
11. What female-centred show featured the life of advice columnist Carrie Bradshaw and her friends in 1990s NYC?
Answer: Sex and the City
12. How many foreign immigrants came to NYC in the 1990s?
- 1.2 million
- 3.7 million
Answer: 1.2 million
13. Over half of all foreign immigrants to NYC during the 1990s came from these three areas of the world. What were they?
- Latin America, former Soviet Union, China
- Europe, Mexico and Vietnam
- South America, Vietnam and Western Europe
- Mexico, Eastern Europe and Vietnam
Answer: Latin America, former Soviet Union, China
14. What Latin American country produced the largest number of immigrants to NYC during the 1990s?
- Dominican Republic
- Costa Rica
Answer: Dominican Republic